Happy Easter everyone, welcome to our Springtime TLF update.
With the Government roadmap out of lockdown still seemingly on track, Shirley and I have been busy getting the Shop and Kiosk ready for re-opening on 12th April (fingers crossed!). Our Covid PPE/Cleaning stock was topped up last week and we also received our retail stock deliveries, all of which is now priced up and on the shelves ready to sell! The next step is an audit at both outlets to ensure we are meeting Covid Health and Safety measures and all being well, 10am on Monday 12th we will see our doors re-opening.
The TLF Committee and I are taking tentative steps to arrange outside fundraising events and are certainly looking forward to seeing you all again, although we still have some online events planned to keep our fundraising ticking over for a while. Our huge efforts to keep some money coming in over the past year have certainly paid off as it was confirmed in March that TLF ended 2020 in second place in the overall RNLI fundraising branch league table. We came second to Guernsey fundraising branch – who were fortunate enough not to have the same strict virus lockdown restrictions which we experienced, so they were able to continue normal fundraising to a certain extent. We are extremely proud that we managed to reach the dizzy heights of second place, it is a huge achievement in such difficult times.
So, what have we been up to during March?
· Our very first Zoom quiz was enjoyable and a successful fundraiser, bringing in £118.75 (incl Gift Aid). Thanks to Anne and Peter Thorpe for organising the quiz – the questions certainly got the brain cells going!
· We launched an ‘online sale’ – selling garden lanterns (great for Easter BBQs) and our remaining 150th Anniversary prints of Torbay Lifeboat. One of our anniversary print purchasers has commented – ‘What a brilliant picture – definitely going to have pride of place in this house!’ To order any of these great offers please contact our Treasurer, Dave Smithson, on 01803 666171 or email@example.com
· 13th to 18th April – Virtual Jigsaw Puzzle
A repeat of our popular online jigsaw puzzle. We are attempting to complete a 1000 piece jigsaw in 6 days, asking for a £5 donation for 20 pieces. We will publish daily photo updates again so that you can see the progress. Full details will be published soon.
· 2nd May – 10am until 4pm – TLF May Day event (subject to weather)
This will be our first outside event for a while! While meeting all the required Covid Guidelines, and with authorisation from the local Council to go ahead, we will be outside the Lifeboat Station with a few stalls and a Cover the Flag. Pop by to say hello and make a purchase or donation!
· 8th May – Souvenir Stall and Cover the Flag, Torquay (subject to weather)
Again, meeting all required Covid Guidelines and with authorisation from the local Council, we will be out and about on the Prom at Torquay. More details in May’s newsletter.
TLF 100 Club
Our 100 Club is up and running with the first draw taking place on Monday 5th April. Winners will be published via this monthly newsletter. If you would like to join please contact Dave Smithson on 01803 666171.
We continue to identify and build local fundraising partnerships, working with businesses around the Bay to help boost our fundraising income. Here are recent results from some of our local supporters…..
· Costcutter, Pillar Avenue, Brixham – donated £578.02 – this is 50% of their 2020 carrier bag levy – the other beneficiary is The Edge.
· SPAR, St Mary’s Square, Brixham – donated £568 – from their Easter Egg raffle
· After a recent rescue of her dog Florrie by our Torbay ILB crew, Vanessa Pope is doing a sponsored walk this month as a Thank You to the crew.
You can see the rescue here https://www.facebook.com/nelly.pope.9/videos/1413403619005856. If you would like to donate to Vanessa’s fundraiser, you can do so at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/nessgem2021
Our huge thanks go to all our supporters who help with our fundraising.
Torbay Station news
The ALB ‘Duke of Kent’ from the RNLI’s relief fleet is still on service at Torbay Station and will remain so until Torbay Lifeboat’s engine repairs are complete. Our newsletter image this month is the ‘Duke of Kent’ out on a shout in Torbay recently.
Shouts for March – a busy month!
· ALB – 3; total for the year so far 6
· ILB – 6; total for the year so far 13
We are pleased to announce that we have a new Torbay Lifeboat Management Group Chairman, Roy Tuttle. Roy takes the chair from Paul Bradfield who has now completed his 3-year tenure in the role. We thank Paul for his support and look forward to working with Roy in the future.
Finally for this month………have you ever wondered what happens to old Lifeboats when they have finished serving at RNLI Stations?
Watch this video to find out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko-s2BLRM4g
Have a good Easter and enjoy all your chocolate treats!