I’m sorry to start this month’s newsletter with the sad news that Lynn’s husband, Mark, sadly passed away last weekend. His passing was unexpected and our thoughts and sympathies are with Lynn and family.
Mark was an enthusiastic member of our fundraising committee for 5 years and was Chairman in 2008 to 2010. Mark used to enjoy selling the RNLI lottery tickets by the Lifeboat Station and in 2008 he was the RNLI’s most successful lottery fundraiser when he sold an amazing £8,900 of tickets – a record that probably still stands. He continued to empty the collecting boxes at Torbay Lifeboat Station until a year ago and for several years provided administrative support to the Operations team.
Mark’s funeral will only be for family on February 9th. Lynn would like to pass on her thanks for all your cards and kind thoughts.
Tributes and donations (for the RNLI) can be made at https://www.stockmanandloram.co.uk/funeral-details/?tribute=markspillett
Alternatively cheques (payee = RNLI) may be passed to myself.
The last few months have also seen the sad losses of –
* Alan Franklin, who served many years as Education Officer and Lifeboat Tours Officer at Torbay Lifeboat Station
* John Bates, committee member 2003 to 2014, responsible for our Collection Boxes in Brixham and serving a year as Vice Chairman
* John Richardson, Treasurer for many years until 2003
Many thanks to those of you who renewed your membership by Standing Order or dropped a cheque off to Anne. For those who have yet to pay, please do so quickly, by calling Anne (855329) to make arrangements. Cheques (payee = RNLI) may be dropped off at the shop or we may be able to collect from your home in Brixham whilst we do our daily walk. I can also provide details for bank transfers.
January Fundraising –
* ‘Lose It For The Lifeboats’ some post Christmas encouragement to lose a few pounds and donate a few pounds to the Lifeboat. Hopefully you will have achieved your target, so please remember to donate (suggested £5) at – https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/rnli-tlf21 If you are lucky enough not to have needed to shed a few pounds then we’d love you to also make a donation. Our thanks to Penny Jolley for her informative tips and encouragement.
* Virtual Coffee Morning and Quiz, our committee and Events Team work hard to come up with activities that provide, you, our members with some entertainment / learning / enjoyment each month. All we ask in return is a suggested minimum donation of £5 per person to support the RNLI and Torbay Lifeboat. This month’s VCM Quiz donations are so low it’s embarrassing. If you aren’t keen on our events then please let us know what you would like to do – just e-mail us at mailto:email@example.com with your suggestions.
* Our AGM this year will take place on Monday 8th February, when you will receive the TLF Chair’s report, TLF Treasurer’s report and other relevant detail usually covered within a normal TLF AGM agenda. These reports will be sent to all our members via their preferred TLF contact method – email or post. If you have any ‘Matters Arising’ which you would like to raise as part of our AGM please advise by Friday 5th February at the very latest.
* Tuesday 16th February, will be our next Virtual Coffee Morning and a Word Game – something to keep the grey matter ticking over.
‘TLF 100 Club’
With no clarity as to when we will be able to return to traditional fundraising, we are considering setting up and running a ‘100’ Club to generate income.
This would work along the following lines –
* Only current paid up TLF members would be eligible to join
* Each entry would cost £2 a month and would be paid in advance for the year
* Each month we would draw 3 entries for prizes of 20%, 10%, 5%, of that month’s fund. So if we had 100 entries the prize elements would be £40, £20, £10 respectively
* We could operate this without any special licences or permissions
At this stage we wish to gauge the level of interest in participating. Please mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject = “100 Club”, then in the text, let us know how many monthly entries you might want and any other comments or questions. Thank you.
To comply with the requirements of Lockdown our Retail outlets in Middle Street and the kiosk are closed until further notice.
* A wide range of RNLI gifts are available at https://shop.rnli.org/
* Use https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ and nominate the RNLI as your preferred charity
* For those of you with an M&S Sparks card, you can now nominate the RNLI as your charity – each time you use your card M&S donate 1p – it might not be much but all those pennies add up. Why not start now?
With the availability of Seville oranges in January I know many of you will have been looking forward to ordering jars of Yellow Welly Marmalade, produced locally by TLF member Graham Young. However there will be no further supplies as Graham and Anna are about to move out of the area to be nearer to family – we wish them all the best in their new home.
If you would like to make your own marmalade then Graham gives step by step instructions in this TLF You Tube video https://youtu.be/LHh9hX2Ul6g just skip through to 21:47 for the Marmalade Master Class
Torbay Lifeboat Station News
Our regular Severn Class (17-28) has been away in Poole for scheduled maintenance during January, and operational coverage has been provided by the relief AWB 17-17. Our 17-28 returned at the weekend and the relief 17-17 moved to Falmouth yesterday
During January there have been 4 shouts and there are further details on our fabulous new website www.torbaylifeboat.co.uk
Keep in touch through our social media and please share our posts with your family and friends –
* TLF – Facebook.com/tlftorbay
* Torbay Station – Facebook.com/rnlitorbay
Our Lifeboat Operations Teams continue to provide a round the clock rescue service to all who need us in this most difficult of times.
However our inability to perform normal fundraising is having a huge impact and we do need your continued support and donations.
Please do all you can help
Dave Smithson (666171)